Thursday 24 May 2012

Book Favourites: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


In a perfect world, reviewers would be able to review every single book they read. But as most of you know, you can't. Sometimes it's because you simply don't have the time. Sometimes it's because you just can't find the inspiration. And sometimes the book you're reading is so awesome that you can't describe it without turning into a blubbering fangirl. Every week I will be highlighting one of such books in Book Favourites.

A friend of mine recommended this series, and I started reading it last year. I've finished the first two books, but I'm hoping to fit the rest of the series in with my reading schedule. I'm talking about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams! These little books are a science-fiction classic, and rightly so.


Why this series is awesome:
  • It's like the daydream of an astrophysicist on XTC. These books are completely crazy
  • You can say what you like, but they're definitely original
  • Did you know the name of the Babel Fish online translator comes from these books?
  • Brilliant writing style
  • Incredibly fast reads - these books are all about 200-250 pages
  • If you have a particular sense of humour, these books are very funny

I recommend this series if you like:
  • Science fiction
  • Short books
  • Daydreams of astrophysicists on XTC
  • Space-travel
  • Classics

2 comments:

pooja_sat said...

I bought The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I think that's the title) that contains all the 5 titles in one book and I was surprised by how quirky and spontaneous it was and was surprised to find myself laughing along! I couldn't get past the first book, though. I don't think I fully got it, I guess. But I feel compelled to read more of it later on and give it another try. But I know a lot of people who love this series! Great Book Favourites post :)

Celine said...

I think it's quite impossible to really get everything in these books. It was hard to stop focussing on all the details in the story and just enjoy the whole thing.

Thanks for stopping by anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of them too sometime (:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: