Tuesday 24 January 2012

Interview: Brodi Ashton (Everneath)

Everneath is released today, and even though Brodi has a very busy schedule (with her being a debut author and all) she is here today with an interview! Make sure you visit her site too.

The Interview

Nyx Book Reviews: Hi Brodi, welcome to Nyx Book Reviews! Can you describe your book, Everneath, in one sentence?

Brodi: A girl, who has been stuck in the Underworld for a century, has six months to visit her family and her former boyfriend before disappearing forever.

Your book is closely connected to the myth of Persephone. Did you research Greek mythology before writing Everneath?

I didn't have to do much research, because my mom made sure I knew all about mythology when I was a kid. Also, I wanted Everneath to have elements and themes of mythology, but I didn't want it to be a strict retelling, and I didn't want the story to be handcuffed by sticking to the exact details of the myths. :)

Everneath has a stunning cover. Did you have any voice in how it was supposed to look, or was it all decided for you?

I wish I could say I had something to do with the cover, but all of that credit goes to the awesome design team at HarperCollins. But I did have a swirling smoke effect in mind when I pictured the cover. If you've read the book, you'll know why.

What do you like best about being a writer?

Working in my pajamas.

Many people think that ebooks will completely obliterate the physical books market. Do you think that will happen?

I can only guess based on my own actions, and I own a kindle, but I still buy a ton of books. So I think books will survive, no matter what the format!

Do you still find time to read yourself? If so, what books have you enjoyed lately?

I think every aspiring writer should be a good reader first. Recently, I've read and loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Under the Never Sky, and Incarnate. Oh, and the final installment in the Dark Divine trilogy The Savage Grace.

Everneath is the first part of a trilogy. Can you give us a little hint of what’s in store for Nikki, Jack and Cole next?

I don't want to give any spoilers, but I will say that if you've read the book, you'll have a pretty good idea of where Nikki needs to go next. :)

Thank you for answering my questions! (:

Thank you so much for having me!

Bio

Because of two parents who were Greek myth geeks, I grew up thinking the latest fashion trends were inspired by Aphrodite, and a good conversational opener was, “So, which mythological character do you most resemble?” Despite these social shortcomings, I found a great husband who’s always my first reader. We live in Utah with our two young boys, who still have no idea why I'm at the computer all the time.

I received a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism from the University of Utah and a Master’s degree in International Relations from the London School of Economics.

> Read my review of Everneath
***

1 comments:

Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea said...

Fantastic interview! :) I'm really looking forward to reading it now - I got an e-ARC from Netgalley a while ago but I haven't started reading it yet. And I agree, the cover is just stunning!  x x x

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: