Thursday 22 September 2011

Short Review: Errant by Diana Peterfreund

Errant by Diana Peterfreund

5 out of 5 stars

Short Story (33 pages)
Published by Noise Court Press

Me and killer unicorns, we go way back. The first time I heard of their existence it was like finding that missing piece that completes you into a whole being. It filled the empty little place in my heart. And still now, I can't get enough.

Errant is a short story of about 30 pages, set in historical France. Gitta, a unicorn hunter trained in Rome, is summoned to help in a symbolic unicorn hunt. But there is more magic hiding in this estate than she expected...

I loved how in this tiny short story, Ms Peterfreund manages to insert several plot twists, character development and a teasing insight into the world of unicorn hunters. The story stands completely on its own, making it accessible for both die-hard fans and the relatively ignorant.


When I wrote this review, this novelette was still available for free. Read more about this offer on Diana Peterfreund's blog. Go read it, NOW!

Blurb

In 18th century France, a noble family prepares to celebrate their daughter’s arranged marriage by holding a traditional unicorn hunt. But when an unusual nun arrives at the chateau with her beloved pet to help the rich girl train, nothing goes as expected. Starring hunters, fine ladies, fancy frocks, and killer unicorns.

A standalone novelette set in Peterfreund’s killer unicorniverse, which includes the novels RAMPANT and ASCENDANT.

Other reviews you might be interested in
More links

2 comments:

Small Review said...

Yay! I love the series so much, so I'm really happy to hear the novelette is good too. I really, really hope she publishes a third book (how can it just end like that?!)

I love your opening paragraph, btw :)

Celine said...

@ Small Review; I know right?! I read on her blog that she's planning to write a third book, but there is no deal with the publisher yet. I sooo can't wait to find out what happens with Astrid next!

Thanks (: Glad you like it!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: