Thursday 5 August 2010

BR: Veronika Decides To Die

Veronika Decides to DieVeronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I wish I could say I picked this book up because I wanted something more to read than the plain old paranormal romance. I wish I could say I read this book because I wanted to know more about life. I wish I reviewed this book because I wanted to share with the world the joy of life.

The reason I picked this book up? My favourite band, Billy Talent, has a song called Saint Veronica. About a girl that decides to die. I like that song.

Yes, for that superficial reason I took this book from the library shelf and brought it home.

Then I read it in two sittings. And discovered that my superficial reasons don't do this book right. It is truly a great book. It makes me want to say "but I do enjoy my life!". Coelho writes in such clear and simple language that this book is enjoyable for about anyone. It makes you think about your life. It still has you thinking days after you have said goodbye to Veronika and Eduard and Doctor Igor.

Can't say it's a masterpiece, 'cause well, it isn't. It has some flaws, like the quite unrealistic plot twist and the questionable medical research. Sometimes we lose Veronika, whom I think to be the main character, for way too much time because we have to listen to the life story of a character that doesn't really matter anyway.

I just loved the way Coelho portrayed the mental hospital. The madness, and even the structure behind the madness.

Inspiring. Read it for superficial reasons, but read it anyway.


No one ever thought that she was capable
And the damage done is irreversible
Now she clings to life inside a hospital
Like she's trapped inside a frozen waterfall
Always said her life was never meant to be
Stuck here living someone else's dream
Well beyond your window there is so much more
Even every prison has a open door


View all my reviews >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: